OK so, you want to blog about gaming but you’re not sure where to start or what to write? Funnily enough… that’s exactly how I feel right now! This blog is mostly an online gaming diary with a few creative efforts, guides etc thrown in, so the advice I give will obviously be from this angle :)
The first thing that I feel is important is that you write about what you enjoy, not what you think others will enjoy. If you have a great screenshot, post it up. If you’re proud of an outfit you’ve created or a house you’ve decorated post that up. If you’ve had a blast running around X dungeon – describe your adventures. If you roleplay, try developing your character on your blog. Experiment too – you don’t have to publish the results ;) The subjects you write about may stay varied and personal or they may develop into a theme – follow your interests :)
Writing regularly is really helpful to keep readers coming back to your blogs (something I’m not always good at!) In order to balance gaming, life and blogging I settled on posting a screenshot every Wednesday and then doing other posts as and when. When I take a break, I generally put a note up on my blog so that people know you’re on a break rather than think the blog’s been abandoned.
Read your posts back to yourself, make sure it flows. Ask someone to proof read for you if you’d like an opinion before you publish. One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to write your post as a draft, let it sit for a few days and revise and revise and then revise some more before you publish. I would also recommend trying to illustrate your post with a screenshot as blogs are very visual and it really can catch your reader’s attention. Having said that, it may not suit some type of articles or your style of blogging so down to you. You can also preview your posts to check formatting and it can be easier to proof read too (thanks to Feliz for reminding me :))
Writing about more than one game:
I tend to write about most games I’m playing, rather than just concentrating on just one. Generally I tend to have one MMO going interspersed with various single RPG games. I try to keep the majority of my posts about my long term MMO and throw in a few posts about the single RPGs here and there. There may be other ways to combine this but I find this style of blogging works well with my gaming habits.
Getting your blog known:
Aside from the brilliant NBI there are other things you can do
- twitter… you can link your wordpress account with your twitter account and it will automatically tweet your post for you (don’t forget to add the hashtags – I always do ;))
- facebook… again you can link your accounts
- link to and comment on other blogs which post about the same games as you (make sure they are genuine comments though and not just flailing for attention ;))
- check out community resources for your game (e.g. lotro’s free people’s press) and submit a link to be advertised
- I use the same icon for all my gaming related accounts so people can recognise me immediately and for consistency
- add your blog’s link to your signature on any game related forums
- publish regularly (as often as you can cope with)
I’m going to try and get a post up with tips on using WordPress (I love this platform!)