Last year I did a roundup of 2010, so I thought I’d do a quick roundup of my gaming this year and share some of my favourite moments and screenshots too :)
Games I played:
Lord of the Rings online was my most played game but I also played (and finished!) Dragon Age: Origins, DA Awakenings and Dragon Age II. I also played Minecraft, Skyrim and Everquest II.
Favourite moments (sort of in order):
5. The intro to Skyrim. So there I was sitting on this bumpy wagon, looking around and going OMG! it looks amazing! From there onto the execution wondering how I was going to get out of this, THEN running away from a dragon (was amazing when it crashed through the tower), then going through a series of beautifully lit caves looting, killing, picking locks, and finally out into the beautiful open world with it all set out before me to do as I please… ah bliss!
4. The Party Banter (Dragon Age series). Ohgren’s filthy conversations with Wynne, Varric discussing Sebastien’s cocking ring, Zevran and his constant sleaze, Alistair’s one liners – great fun all :)
3. The Thieves Guild (Skyrim). I love the atmosphere here, the voice acting for Brynjolf and Karliah is superb (my only annoyance here is that now that I’m master of the guild, all Brynjolf says to me is ‘sorry lass, I’m too busy to talk’ pfft…) Sneaking about and fighting alongside those two was just amazing…
2. Volume 2 of the Epic Questline (lotro). The story woven into Moria and Mirkwood was bleak with the Elves and Dwarves facing impossible odds and centuries worth of mistrust. The session play (Moria) showing the awakening of the balrog (stop! you’re delving too deep!) and the last stand in the Chamber of Mazarbul was amazing – I was rooting for the dwarves even knowing it was futile… Moving on to Mirkwood, I loved seeing fighting alongside elves, I loved that my character was finally ‘home’ and was fighting the evil found there. The twist in the story when Broín has ‘disappeared’ from the elven stronghold at Ost Galadh was brilliant (I had also felt some resentment and frustration at Broín’s determination to rescue Bori). By the end, Broín was my absolute hero (I’ll just mention the scenes with the Nazgúl and Mazog as why without giving away too much) and if I’m ever captured by Orcs, please put him in charge of getting me back!
1. oh noes I killed Alistair! (DA: O) The story was so thoroughly absorbing in Dragon Age: Origins that I was rendered speechless and motionless when Alistair ran off to deal the final blow against the arch-demon. My carefully orchestrated, self-sacrificial ending of the story was ruined by something I really didn’t expect – Alistair’s refusal to allow my character to take the fall. I have to admit, it was pretty awesome and even though I was so shocked, I did have a slightly silly grin on my face :P Well done to Bioware for foiling my carefully researched (though clearly not carefully enough) ending ;)
Some of my favourite screenshots:
I will still be playing lotro as my main MMO but now EQ2 is free to play I’ll be popping on there to do some decorating and other noodly type activities.
I’m looking forward to the creation kit being released for Skyrim so I can mod the game some (mostly house tweaks I’m looking forward to I think) and also for the new dlc to be released. I *may* start again with a resolution to not collect junk ‘just in case’ although that probably won’t work ;)
*cough* i haven’t started a new game of dragon age: origins… oh noes… oh no… not at all :D
I haven’t heard of any games I’m interested in being released this year as yet, although of course I am on a countdown to go and see The Hobbit ;)